Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Tribute To Greatness In Entertainment

The temptation here at this blog is to get too negative about life. Well, that would be unfair. From what I've been able to gather, life is generally mediocre or bad, with scattered moments of greatness, like a a desert with a few scattered grains of emerald sand.
Since everyone turns to TV, movies, music, sports and such for entertainment to dilute the awfulness of life, I find it disappointing who is held up as role models and the quality of "stars" out there today. I'm not going to go further into it, or name any names, you fill in the blanks. So today I hope to show, once again, how much better the past was than the present is. You may notice that is a theme with me. Expect many blog posts about this in the future. Almost all of them deal with that in one way or another. So, in that spirit, I present to you: A Tribute to Greatness In Entertainment!

MUSIC
Liberace

Liberace has sold millions of albums, I think. It's hard not to love this picture, as well as this man's lust for... "life". Millions of blue-haired ladies who are unaware of the concept of "gay" were, and, I'm sure, still are huge fans. He made millions of dollars, has a museum and got to live life to the max his way. You gotta love that. I mean, I'm not totally convinced he was gay.

BASEBALL
Rollie Fingers

I know nothing about Rollie Fingers, or about baseball in general, but two things: he has a great name, and even without the mustache, he would be a legend just with that name alone, but couple that together with that 'stache, this man is a God. NO ONE could come out like him today. Now baseball is all about scandals, juicing and guys with giant heads. The world needs another Rollie Fingers.

GAME SHOWS
Photobucket

In the 70's Richard Dawson would kiss all the female contestants because it was the 70's - their spirits were free and there was a harmless, freewheeling sense, if they thought about it at all, that it was OK to kiss and love in an overriding spirit of friendship and good will, it was all part of the zeitgeist. Now, we live in an age where that is frowned upon and it's all about lawsuits, sexual harrassment and STD's and that's why I'm angry and disappointed and life sucks and I hate everyone.

Todd Newton
NO, not you! You're everywhere! Get out of here! Can't I mention the words "game show" without you magically appearing?

WRESTLING
Ultimate Warrior

Back when the WWE was the WWF, and before those selfish and pesky annoyances at the World Wildlife Fund had their way, and before the term "sports entertainment" was ever coined, there was a warrior. An ULTIMATE warrior. Not to be confused with the Yul Brynner film of the same name, I feel that this picture says it all. Mainly because I don't know anything about the Mr. Warrior. Was he the guy that demanded we "Snap into a Slim Jim"? Because I doubt he would have that muscular physique if he snapped into a bunch of Slim Jims. Why wouldn't he hawk something healthier? NO ONE knows what are in Slim Jims. NO ONE! Not even Jim himself!!! But I digress.

TALK SHOWS/EXCERCISE & FITNESS
Simmons\' Gay Alarm

Sweatin' To The Oldies and Deal a Meal rebelled against the previous generation, defiantly declaring "we don't want to do things your way!" Looking at it in today's perspective, they were clearly more cultural statements than anything else. Expect to see this graphic many more times in the future. I mean, I'm still not totally convinced he is gay.

TELEVISION
Paul Lynde

Who didn't love this man's double takes and reactions? Not to mention his physical movements and voice? Today's TV stars could learn a lot. Learn from the past. Shame on everyone. I mean, I'm still not totally convinced...ah, never mind.

MOVIES
borgnine

I LOVE Ernest Borgnine. If you don't love him, I hate you. His Oscar-winning movie career (Marty, a great movie) is absolutely stellar, with many, many classics, and his TV work such as McHale's navy has gone down in history as classic. The icing on the cake is he is from HAMDEN! He is a Hamden High graduate, and there is an Ernest Borgnine park in Hamden (actually a small bit of excess grass in front of a brown wall, he deserves better) and an Ernest Borgnine Way (actually the driveway leading up to a golf course, he deserves better) -- You HAVE to love him. He is still going today, with his TV movies and traveling the country in his bus. He is like everyone's Grandpa. God bless this great man.

BASKETBALL/RAP/VIDEO GAMES
Shaq Fu

It takes one many years of training to learn Shaq Fu, and should one be lucky enough to be able to execute the infamous Shaq Attaq -- notice that's spelled with a Q (interesting, seeing some of the other people on this list). Apparently Hawking Icy Hot Medicated Pads hasn't slowed down this scary giant. If anything, it has increased his already huge powers. Was he the first guy to be successful at basketball, thus thinking he could rap well? Or were people just too scared to tell him "No"? Nevertheless, he is a true trailblazer. A big, scary, possibly insane trailblazer.

EVERYTHING ELSE (MASTER OF ALL MEDIA)
The Hoff

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I'm NOT going to make fun of him. (Or, in other terms, "hassle the Hoff") I wouldn't dream of hasslin' the Hoff. Or Wrasslin' the Hoff.

If you liked this more visual piece, do let me know. I enjoyed presenting it to you.

HONORABLE TV MENTION
jake and the fat man

They could never do this show today due to political correctness. Those PC snobs won't rest until all great stuff is gone. Who knows what other classic material fell under their blade? It's just a shame. Now I'm mad. Well, I'm really OK now. I'll save an anti-PC rant for another day. I want to go out on a positive note. Good night and Godspeed!

No comments: