Monday, April 21, 2008

TV shows currently on the air that I like, Part 2

CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM

Larry David is a genius and one of my personal heroes. His comedic brilliance shines through every episode. His ability to take the minutia of life and spin it into plots is brilliant enough, but when events that happen at the beginning of the episode tie into and dovetail with things that happen at the end, and all the while the performances, without scripted dialogue, are chock full of great lines, you realize you are in the presence of true greatness. I've laughed so hard and so long at episodes of this show, that I've started sweating, like I was getting a workout, and I had to go take a shower afterwards. David's sensibility clearly hasn't changed since Seinfeld, but if anything it has improved, and the fact that the show is on HBO means he has even greater freedom. God Bless Curb Your Enthusiasm!

Photobucket

THE SOUP

The E! Network stays afloat with this silly, cynical and hilarious pop culture commentary show. Joel McHale is very funny and likable, and the format is easy to like and understand. It really is the only show of its kind that I know of that is truly unafraid to go hard on the celebrities, yet is still funny and has a brightness that never feels TOO mean-spirited. Chock full of biting sarcasm aimed at today's stupid, vapid celebrity culture, what's not to love?

Photobucket

DEXTER

Original, intriguing and creepy, Showtime, and now CBS' DEXTER is another must-see drama. It seems like only on the pay channels can truly worthwhile, challenging content flower into existence. The show is moody, even philosophical, and Dexter's ruminations on life give it that extra, intelligent dimension. Since Dexter has no emotions, he must fake his way through life. I can relate to that aspect of him. I especially appreciate Dexter's relationship to his sister. I wish I had a relationship with my sister that Dexter does with his. Sure, she may be a bit too good-looking to be on the police force (not that there aren't pretty cops, but come on, in real life she would be modeling, not busting bad guys.) But hey, it's TV and she is a great actress, so all is well. It also combines some of the best aspects of horror movies (there have been outright references to George Romero's MARTIN, as well as THE LAST HOUSE ON DEAD END STREET and the GUINEA PIG series, among others.), and one of my favorite sub-genres, the revenge thriller. Because Dexter is a killer, that, only after careful checking, kills the bad guys, these two things can come together. I guess CBS is trying to shake its image of a network that only the elderly can appreciate, but with this and CRIMINAL MINDS (which I'll discuss later), it's now the serial killer channel. That's quite a turn. I wonder what Andy Rooney thinks?

Photobucket

PENN AND TELLER'S B.S.

Speaking of Showtime, here's their other great show. I've been a fan of Penn and Teller since I was a kid in the 80's. But I prefer this angry, sarcastic and highly enjoyable show better than their magic. When Penn goes off on one of his angry rants about some ridiculous subject or other, the show is at its best. But then sometimes Penn will go into his "soft voice" when talking about something sad, and that really shows his range. I am a huge fan of societal criticism, and this show is one of the best at doing that. I don't agree with 100% of Penn's points, but you don't have to in order to enjoy this hilarious, and pointed, show.

Photobucket

CRIMINAL MINDS

We'll finish this installment with another CBS show. I've only seen the Mandy Patinkin shows, so I can only comment on those. He is quiet and intense, and, if nothing else, the strength of this show is its ensemble cast. Each has their own likable attributes. Hotch is the no-nonsense Joe Friday of the modern era. Reid has an undeniable quirky charm, and I especially liked the plot arc in season 2 where he develops something of a drug problem. JJ is the good-looking girl, Shemar Moore is the good-looking guy, and Garcia is the brains behind the operation (her quirkiness leads me to believe a romance could develop between her and Reid. Wouldn't we all like to see that?) The diverse ensemble cast, mixed with what can be extremely brutal and disturbing subject matter, and the way the team comes together to solve the problem, makes for compelling viewing.

Photobucket

STAY TUNED FOR PART THREE OF THIS ONGOING SERIES!

No comments: