Thursday, April 17, 2008

TV shows currently on the air that I like, part 1

THE SIMPSONS

It is impossible to estimate, much less overestimate, the impact The Simpsons has had on my life. In society, it has changed the way people think about comedy, and for me it has subtly influenced the way I act, talk, even think. Let's not forget I have been watching the show -- without ever stopping -- since 1989, when it debuted, and even before that when they were the little vignettes on the Tracey Ullman show. Some people stop watching shows, take breaks from them and come back to them, etc...I have NEVER stopped watching the show since I was nine years old. I taped them on VHS tapes before the DVD's came out, and always watch the repeats on syndication when I can. I could go on talking about the show forever...It has provided so many laughs, tears, thoughts, social criticism, feelings...but mainly LAUGHS over the years, it is a part of my life that would be unthinkable to separate from me.

Photobucket


FAMILY GUY

On the commentary to one of the seasons of The Simpsons, the writers and producers mentioned how Fox wanted more and more Simpsons episodes per year, and more clip shows. The talent involved with the show couldn't meet Fox's demands. I believe Family Guy is how Fox was able to get the amount of "Simpsons" episodes they wanted, but under a different name. I mean, how big is the difference between "Homer Simpson" and "Peter Griffin"? Besides the soundalike name, they are both overweight oafs that are none too intelligent, and have a wife with a somewhat scratchy voice that acts as a stabilizing influence on the family, a son, a daughter, a baby, and a dog. Sure, the dog and the baby talk. That's about the only difference. Since The Simpsons have gone in every possible direction with the show except outright mean-spiritedness and total raunch, inevitably, that's the only choice Family Guy had to go in a different direction than The Simpsons, so, of course, they took it. I believe it weakens the show and makes the characters, especially Peter, less sympathetic. The writers don't seem to care.
But all that being said, I still have seen every episode of the show, and I watch the repeats, because it can be a very funny show and I like the references. Because of the randomness of the humor (which, unlike South Park, I have no problem with), I just take each joke on its own individual merits. I don't watch the show for its plots. In summary: You can't possibly deny the show is a complete and total Simpsons knockoff, but it has its own individual virtues that must be taken on a joke-by-joke basis.

Photobucket
ALL THREE LAW AND ORDER FRANCHISES

Not much I can say here except that the shows, especially the original, have a certain addictive quality. The plots are always intriguing and I believe the show has lasted as long as it has because of the "ripped from the headlines" aspect. This ensures, as long as there are news stories and people are commiting crimes and/or doing stupid things, the show will survive.
As far as Criminal Intent, it is much more character-driven and both D'Onofrio and Noth have their own styles and differences and that keeps the show interesting. D'Onofrio's outrageously brilliant acting carries many of his episodes and his complex, sensitive character transcends the traditional "cop show" idea. Noth is more a straightforward jaded tough guy, but he also has a hidden sensitivity and a complex past. They are like two sides of a coin. Incidentally, I can also say my favorite episode of the show is the one where Goren goes undercover in the mental institution. The fact that an episode of this magnitude came so far in the run of the series, gives hope for the future of the show. The episode is absolutely brilliant, and should have 30 more minutes added to it and released as a movie. This also furthers my theory that in this day and age, TV is better than movies.
SVU is the darkest and most brutal of the shows. It appeals to me on that level. I love the character of Stabler, I wish I could be more like him personally, but the rest of the cast is great too, and runner-up high marks go to Ice-T whose street curtness is always welcome.

Photobucket

SOUTH PARK

When South Park first came on the air, I watched it and enjoyed it, and appreciated it as an animated show that The Simpsons paved the way for, but was very different and not a knockoff like Family Guy. After the first season, I felt, unfairly, that it was coasting on a one-joke premise. I eventually came back to the show and discovered how great it is. Despite it being hilariously funny, it also has an underlying moral sense, which it desperately needs, because if it didn't have that, all the raunch would seem aimless and rudderless. But despite some dirtiness, the show really has a heart of gold and even a very winning sweet side. This mixture of moral, humor, social comment, sweetness and raunch is a totally winning combination. It's a lot like an underground comic that made it to the mainstream. But better. My favorite episode is the "Batdad" one. I feel all the best attributes of the show come together in this episode in a brilliant way.

Photobucket

STAY TUNED FOR PART TWO OF THIS GREAT SERIES!

No comments: